Snack prepared from gram coated steamed colocasia leaves
Locally grown colocasia leaves are made into this tasty snack in Himachal. It appears to be similar to dish popular in West India – Patra or Aluvadi. You may find this served during Gaddi festivals in Chamba.
- Category: Breakfast Recipes, Himachali Recipes, Snacks Recipes
- 1 cup besan / gram flour
- 5 -6 Patrodu leaves / kachalu ke patte
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons Sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 4 Green chillies
- 1 piece garlic
- 2 medium sized onion
- Few basil leaves / bhavri leaves
- Make paste of black gram flour of pouring consistency.
- Take few leaves of bhavri / type of basil.
- Grind onion, garlic, green chillies and salt. Add this to dough of besan.
- Take one leaf of calocasia keeping lower side upwards. Apply the dough over it. Cover it with another leaf in reverse manner. Continue applying paste for 4-5 leaves.
- Fold sides of leaves inside and roll like bedding.
- Apply paste on all sides of roll while folding.
- Wrap with leaf of turmeric and tie with thread.
- Take big pan, add water and bring to boil. Place the folded leaves over a shelf over water. Steam for 25 minutes.
- Take out leaves. Allow to cool. Cut into small pieces.
- Shallow fry the pieces with little oil, sesame seeds and mustard seeds.
- Patrodu is delicacy of rainy season. Enjoy as snack.