Soup made from green gram lentils
- Category: Dinner Recipes, Gujarati Recipes, Lunch Recipes, Soup Recipes
- 1 cup moong dal / green gram (soaked overnight)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida / Hing
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- 2 Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon half inch stick
- 5 Whole Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Oil
- 1 teaspoon Ginger and Green Chilli Paste
- Salt- to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Jaggery, powdered
- 6 -7 Curry Leaves
- 1 tablespoon Coriander Leaves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- Drain the soaked beans and cook in an open vessel with atleast 4 cups of water so that beans gets cooked thoroughly but does not get mushy.
- Keep the beans separate to be used for any other dish. The water drained is what we require to make the soup.
- In a pan heat oil and splutter asafoetida, mustard and cumin seeds. Add cloves, cinnamon, black pepper and curry leaves.
- Add in ginger and green chilli paste and sauté for a minute. Finally add in the mung bean water and keep on boiling.
- Once the soup starts boiling and in salt and turmeric powder and continue boiling.
- Add in jaggery and coriander leaves and boil till the jaggery has melted. Add in the lemon juice.
- Serve the soup hot