Phirni is most popularly a milk pudding using coarsely ground rice, which makes it thick in texture as compared to kheer. This recipe uses makhana / foxnut instead of rice. The recipe tastes great when served chilled. Often served warm.
- Category: Dessert Recipes, North Indian
- 2 cups makhana
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 4 tablespoons sugar, as per taste
- 1 litre full fat milk
- 5 -6 strands of saffron
- Dried fruits, chopped
- Roast makhana in little ghee till cripsy and blend into coarse powder. Keep aside.
- Bring milk to boil. Simmer till reduced half. Stir in between.
- Add sugar, cardamom and saffron. Mix.
- Add makhana powder and mix well. Simmer for few minutes.
- Allow makhana phirni to cool and then refrigerate.
- Garnish with dried fruits and serve makhana phirni cold.