Karela Tameta Nu Shaak is a typical Gujarati vegetarian dish with the bitterness of bitter gourd, the tanginess of tomatoes and sweetness of jaggery. It is a great combination with rice or roti.
- 1 cup Karela /Bitter gourd, peeled and cut into rings
- 1 cup Tomato
- 1 cup Onion
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Jaggery
- 1 teaspoon Red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- Pinch of Asafetida
- Coriander leaves and chopped tomato for garnishing
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Apply salt on bitter gourd for an hour to remove bitterness and then wash well.
- Pressure cook bitter gourd for 3 whistles.
- Heat oil in pan. Add and saute asafetida, garlic paste and onion for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala, bitted gourd, salt, jaggery and 2 tsp water, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped tomato and coriander leaves.
- Serve Karela Tameta Nu Shaak hot with roti or rice.