Chikkudukaya Uragaya is spicy Andhra style pickle made from tender broad beans / chikkudukaya; which is generally available during winter.
- 1 1/2 cups Chikkudukaya/Broad beans, destringed and cut
- 2 teaspoons Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seed, roasted and powdered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Salt
- 1/4 cup Sesame oil
- 8 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 piece Tamarind, lemon sized, soaked in water
- 1/4 teaspoon Methidana / Fenugreek seed powder, for tempering
- 1/4 teaspoon Hing, for tempering
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds, for tempering
- 1/4 cup Oil, for tempering
- Heat tamarind with little water. Blend in mixer, strain and keep paste aside.
- Heat oil and deep fry beans till they change color and are soft. Strain and remove them in a bowl.
- Add red chilli powder, salt, mustard powder, turmeric powder, garlic and tamarind paste. Mix well.
- Add hot fried oil to mixture.
- Heat oil. Roast mustard seeds, hing and fenugreek seed powder.
- Add this oil tempering to bean mixture.
- Store Chikkudukaya Uragaya / Chikkudukaya pickle in air tight container.