Sweet, tangy and spicy ginger, jaggery and tamarind chutney
- Category: Chutney Recipes, Malayali Recipes
- 1 cup Ginger (Chopped)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Tamarind
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Red Chilly powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons Jaggery
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon Fenugreek powder
- 1 pinch Asafetida
- Curry leaves
- Coconut oil
- Soak the tamarind in hot water. Extract pulp by squeezing this soaked tamarind.
- Add to this pulp, jaggery, chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, asafetida and fenugreek powder. Mix well and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and deep fry the ginger with a few curry leaves. When brown, remove and keep aside.
- Splutter mustard seeds in pan. Add curry leaves and green chilly and saute for 2 mins.
- Add the tamarind pulp mixture and heat till it boils.
- Add the fried ginger.
- Remove from heat and allow it to cool. Refrigerate to store upto 2 weeks.
- Serve this as side dish in your south indian snacks or lunch.