Manjal Thokku is spicy and tangy chutney made from raw turmeric and serves as perfect side dish with steamed rice or idlis.
- 1 cup fresh haldi / raw turmeric, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, large - chopped
- 4 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon methi dana/fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon hing/asafetida powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup oil
- Blend tomatoes, raw turmeric and green chillies to coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Dry roast methi seeds till brown. At this time, add hing and roast for a minute. Remove from heat and once cool grind to fine powder
- Now in a pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard seeds, curry leaves and a pinch of hing. Saute.
- Add turmeric tomato paste, saute.
- Adjust taste with red chilli powder and salt. Mix and bring to boil.
- Simmer for around 30 minutes until oil separates.
- Stop heating and add methi-hing powder. Mix well.
- Allow to cool and store in air tight container
- Serve manjal thokku along with steamed rice or idlis.