Mah ki dal is a delicious black lentil curry cooked with spices. Enjoy it with rice or roti.
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Chopped tomatoes for garnish
- Chopped onions for garnish
- 1 tablespoon butter for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or yoghurt (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard oil
- 3 – 4 ripe tomatoes
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 1/2 cups whole black gram dal with skin on (urad dal), soaked overnight
- 1/2 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 bunch fresh green coriander
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/4 cm piece ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- Along with oil, saute onion, chilli, garlic and ginger in a pan until the onion is just browning. Grind to a paste with half of the green coriander.
- Add chilli powder, cumin, coriander powder, salt, turmeric, Tomato puree and water.
- Add urad dal and pressure cook.
- Add garam masala, remaining green coriander and the cream if using.
- Garnish with butter, chopped onions and tomatoes.
- Serve Mah ki daal with rice, an onion salad and yoghurt.