Chawli Koddel is a simple curry recipe using red cowpeas / chawli beans made in Konkani way. It uses minimal spices with richness of coconut.
- 1/2 cup Chawli / red cowpeas, soaked in water overnight
- 1 cup fresh coconut, grated
- 4 dry red chillies
- 1 piece Tamarind pulp, marble sized ball, soaked in water
- 4 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Pressure cook beans with 1.5 cups water for 4-5 whistles, till beans are cooked.
- Grind coconut, tamarind and dry red chilies with little water to coarse paste. Keep aside.
- Add little water to cooked beans and bring to boil.
- Add coconut paste and mix well. Add salt.
- Continue heating till done.
- Season with hot oil and fried garlic cloves.
- Serve Chawli Koddel along with rice or chapati.