It is often known as Beary Bonda Payasam due to its popularity with Beary Muslim community in coastal Karnataka. It is similar to Elaneer Payasam – a dessert made from tender coconut flesh/malai and china grass. Served chill, it suits well with hot humid coastal weather.
- Category: Dessert Recipes, Kannada Recipes, Mangalorean Recipes
- 2 cups condensed milk
- 1 cup milk cream
- 1 cup fresh coconut milk
- 1 cup full fat milk
- 1 teaspoon real vanila extract
- 10 grams china grass sheets (agar-agar)
- 1/2 cup of tender chopped coconut malai
- Blend 1/2 cup of fresh coconut with a cup of water. Strain and squeeze to yield fresh coconut milk.
- Add condensed milk, milk cream, milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk till all combined.
- Heat till it starts boiling. Keep aside.
- Soak china grass in a cup of water for 5 min. Bring to boil and simmer till china grass is melted.
- Add this to payasam along with tender coconut.
- Place in serving bowls and refrigerate for about 4 hours.
- Serve Bonda payasam chilled.