Badana are small balls of gram flour, deep fried in ghee and dunked in sugar syrup. It can be served as a dessert.
- Category: Dessert Recipes, North Indian, Recipes for Kids, Snacks Recipes
- 1 cup gram flour / besan
- 1 tablespoon Rice flour
- Ghee to deep fry
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 6 Almonds, chopped
- 4 Saffron, few strands dissolved in water
- Prepare a sugar syrup by boiling sugar and water together.
- Add saffron strands and a tbsp. of milk to bring up the scum.
- Remove scum and boil liquid till the syrup is sticky. Keep aside.
- Mix gram flour, rice flour and water together to form a semi thick batter. Add 1 tbsp. of oil to the batter. Keep aside for about half an hour.
- Heat ghee, hold perforated spoon a little above the hot ghee, pour some batter on the spoon.
- Tap very lightly at edge of spoon to allow small droplets to fall in the ghee.
- Stir the boondis in the ghee gently and fry till crisp.
- Drain and put into the syrup for 3-4 minutes.
- Spread on a wide plate, add cardamom powder, almonds and mix gently.
- Store Badana / boondi in airtight container.