Lucknowi Gobi Alu ki Tahiri
Spiced rice layered with cauliflower, potatoes and other vegetables
- 350 gm potatoes cut into quarters
- 250 grams basmati rice
- 250 grams cauliflower cut to florets
- 4 white onions thinly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds coarsely crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 3 tablespoons thick yoghurt, whisked
- Salt to taste
- 1 cinnamon, inch long
- 5 cloves
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 8 black peppercorn
- Fresh coriander for garnish
- Heat oil. Saute onions till light brown. Drain and keep aside.
- Grind whole spices coarsely. Keep aside.
- Grind garlic, ginger and chilli with little water to make smooth paste. Keep aside.
- Heat butter. Add crushed spices, onions, ginger, garlic and chilli paste. Roast for 2-3 minute.
- Add coarse crushed coriander seeds, chilli powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Add potatoes. Mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add yogurt and stir well. Add 1.5 cup vegetable stock and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower florets. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add rice, handful of fried onions and 1.5 cup vegetable stock. Cook covered for 20 minutes till rice is cooked.
- Stop heating, but keep covered for 20 mintues. Garnish with fresh onion and coriander leaves.
- Serve Lucknowi Gobi Alu ki Tahiri hot with raita.