Dahi wale pahari Aloo is a creamy potato curry cooked in yogurt gravy. It is a sweet and tangy dish that can be served with roti or paratha.
- 3 large Potatoes, peeled and chopped lengthwise
- 1 large Onion, thinly sliced
- 2 Green chilies, thinly sliced
- 3 cups Yogurt, whisked with 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons Oil / ghee
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- 1 inch piece Cinnamon
- 6 Cloves
- 3 Cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafetida
- 2 tablespoons Raw Rice, soaked in 4 tbsp of water
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro – to garnish
- Grind rice with cardamom into a smooth paste. Mix this paste with yogurt and keep aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds, cinnamon, cloves and asafetida and fry for a minute until they turn aromatic.
- Add sliced onions and green chilies and sauté until translucent.
- Add chopped potatoes, dry powder spices (Garam masala, turmeric powder, dhania powder) and salt. Mix well.
- Cook until potatoes are soft. Now add whisked yogurt-rice mixture. Bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve Dahi wale pahari aloo with roti/paratha.